Add colorful veggies to your plate with build-your-own lettuce wraps. Number of servings: 4
6 sweet, mini bell peppers
8 lettuce leaves
1 cup instant brown rice (dry)
1 pound tilapia filets, fresh or frozen (thawed)
2 teaspoons Southwest chipotle seasoning (no sodium)
2 tablespoons canola oil (divided)
¼ teaspoon salt
2 limes (divided)
¼ cup reduced-fat sour cream
For the salsa fresca:
½ cup yellow corn (frozen or canned, no salt added)
1 medium tomato
1 small onion
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 jalapen pepper (minced)
¼ teaspoon salt
- Slice peppers in half vertically. Arrange lettuce and 8 pepper halves on a serving platter.
- Cook brown rice according to package directions.
- To make salsa fresca, dice remaining pepper halves, tomato and onion; mix with corn, garlic, jalapeno pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Sprinkle both sides of tilapia filets with Southwest chipotle seasoning.
- Heat 1½ tablespoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side (cook fish until it is opaque, 145 ºF). Flake with a fork and place in a serving dish.
- When rice is done, stir in remaining ½ tablespoon oil, juice from one lime, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cut remaining lime into wedges.
- To serve, set out pepper-lettuce platter, rice, fish, salsa fresca, sour cream and lime, and let diners build their own boats and wraps.
Per serving: 350 calories, 12 g total fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 28 g protein, 34 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 370 mg sodium.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, recipefinder.nal.usda.gov.