Just a little spice is nice in this quick-cooking vegetarian chili.
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
½ cup celery, rinsed and chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, rinsed and diced
1 can (15½ oz.) low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15½ oz.) low-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15½ oz.) low-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans (14½ oz. each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon chili powder
- In an 8-quart soup or pasta pot, heat the oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add onion. Cook and stir until onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery and green pepper. Cook and stir another 5 minutes, until all vegetables soften.
- Add drained and rinsed beans to pot.
- Stir in tomatoes, cumin and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10–20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 4. Nutrition facts (per serving): 443 calories, 8 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 16 g fiber, 22 g protein, 73 g carbohydrates, 1,411 mg potassium.
Recipe courtesy of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, https://healthyeating.nhlbi.nih.gov.