This program is designed to promote the ministry of the nurse in local congregations. At Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas, we seek to assist congregations in the development of health ministries which relate directly to the unique needs of their members and communities. A Faith Community Nurse (FCN) is a licensed registered nurse, serving a community of faith to promote health as a wholeness of the faith community, its family and the community it serves.
Faith Community Nurses work together with other health professionals to provide the following:
- Assessment through screening and consultation
- Development of grief or other health-related support groups within the congregation.
- Health education as appropriate for identified needs
- Referral for care and follow-up
- Coordination of health ministries activities
- Visits to those recently discharged from hospitals or home-bound members of the congregation.
- Blood pressure screening
- Visitation to nursing homes, hospitals and homebound
- Intergenerational programs
- Telephone ministries
- Mother’s Day Out
- Nutrition courses
- Exercise programs
- Health education
- Health Fairs
New Resources for the Congregational Nurse are:
- Education – continuing education hours will be offered to all congregational and prospective congregational nurses and providers
- Information – speakers will be available for events at your congregation
- Camaraderie/Support – regularly scheduled meetings will be offered with fellowship and sharing of ideas
- Program Resources – a library of resources for Congregational Nursing will be offered in order to enhance the knowledge of the Health Minister.
From ancient times, churches have been involved in health care. Christ’s ministry during His time here on earth involved healing people in body, mind and spirit. He directed His apostles and disciples to carry on His ministry. Churches who serve in the capacity for which they were first mandated provide a holistic approach to their ministry. So the healing ministry is integral to both the hospital and faith communities. In approaching the holistic health of a person, we need to be mindful of the physical, psychological, emotional and the spiritual well-being of a person. The Faith Community Nurse’s mission is to provide all this to the members of their faith-based community and beyond. What better place to center this ministry than two healing missions: the hospital and the church community.
Related News: "Walk Across Texas" program featured in White House blog.
For more information on Faith Community Nursing contact:
Rebekah Seymour at (409) 212-5648 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org